Building a Summer Salad that Doesn't Suck
Weight loss doesn’t have to mean JUST salads, but if you are having a salad, the calories can add up, and at that point, you might as well of just had a burger.
Let's take a look at why:
Eating a salad also isn't just for weight loss, it's about incorporating nutrient dense foods into your day to help prevent heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, increase energy levels, skin & immune health, the list goes on!
Building a salad has a formula.
Dressings that are tasty and won't sabotage your goals:
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- 2.5 cups 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large cucumber, grated with skin on
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- lemon juice, from 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 Tbsp dill
Directions: Mix all ingredients together. Thin with water for dressing or use as a dip! Refrigerate until ready to use.
2 Tbsp = 30 calories
- 1.5 cloves garlic
- 6 oz bag frozen Raspberries
- ¼ cup pineapple (canned or fresh)
- ½ cup white onion finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper, seed & stems removed
- ½ tsp cumin
Directions: Mix all ingredients together in blender.
(Recipe adapted from Red Raspberry Council)
High Protein Low Cal Ranch
- ½ cup Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt (aisle 20)
- ½ tsp each - dried parsley, dried chives, dried dill, onion flakes
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- pinch salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp white rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp water
Directions: mix all ingredients in bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Serving size – ½ cup (65 calories, 12 g of protein)
*Regular ranch dressing: ½ cup – 560 calories, 6g protein