Ingredients: (serves 3)
1 butternut squash
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp coriander
3 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1/4 tsp salt
Pasta & Extras:
6 oz. dry lentil, bean, or egg noodle pasta
-These contain protein, so no need to add a protein source, if you are looking for a protein boost, you can add organic chicken sausage or crispy tofu.
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- For a vegan option, no need to add the cheese!
1.5 cups broccoli, roasted
- Optional, if you need an extra veggie boost.
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice butternut squash in half (remove & save seeds*). Place squash face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper along with onion, garlic, & broccoli. Spray with avocado oil and sea salt.
3. Remove onion and garlic after 20 mins. Continue roasting butternut squash for an additional 10-20 minutes, or until it's soft.
4. While veggies are roasting, cook pasta according to package instructions.
5. Once cooked, add flesh of butternut (save the skins*), onions, garlic, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, and salt to blender. Blend until smooth.
6. In a medium sized pan add sauce along with cooked pasta. Cook over medium heat, stirring every minute or so for 5 - 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Taste and add cheddar cheese if desired. Stir until melted. Serve over bed of cooked broccoli.
*Skins & seeds of winter squashes like butternut, acorn, and kabocha are edible when cooked. Toss them in the air fryer along with some avocado oil and sea salt, and you have yourself a crunchy veggie chip or seed snack! You can also finely chop the skins and add them to grains to get the benefits, without even noticing they're there!